This is a very good breakfast or evening snack. I also bring it with me to work, makes a great working lunch, just increase the quantity and its a meal in itself. Hope you enjoy it!
2 cups Semolina roasted
5-6 Curry leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Chilli powder Or red or green chillies- adjust to taste
3 cups Boiled water
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt to taste
1 big Chopped onion
Chopped Carrot (optional)
- In a deep pan add the oil. Make sure the oil is hot and add the cumin seeds.
- The seeds should crackle right away.
- Stir and add the curry leaves and chopped green or red chillies.
- Stir together before adding the turmeric powder and peanuts.
- Mix everything together and leave for 2 mins on low to medium heat.
- If using carrots, you may add it at this stage and cook the mixture a bit longer.
- Start the kettle for adding the boiling water later.
- Now add the chopped onions, chilli powder (optional) and give it a good stir.
- Add some salt to prevent the onions from burning. If you find the mix to be too hot, add some sugar.
- Put the lid on and let the onions cook for 2-3 mins or less depending on the heat.
- Now add the semolina, mix together so that all the spices are evenly spread through the semolina.
- Immediately add the recently boiled water. Mix well, all water should be absorbed. If the mixture appears to be dry add some more water.
- Now reduce the heat, add more salt if needed as per taste.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about 5 mins. Turn off the heat but don't remove the heat.
- The mixture will cook in the heat for some time.
- After 5 -7 mins open the lid carefully and garnish with some coriander.
Serve with a hot cup of Tea!