To Mum, With Love...

I LOVE YOU MAMMA!!! Copyright@nnd
I was thinking of recipes that my Aai (Mum) likes, you know for mother’s day. I did not want to call and ask her what was her most favorite dish, now I should know this right! So I spent a few minutes thinking about it and then it came to me…Banana bread and Jalebi. Yes those are her favorites as far as I remember. For some reason savory foods are not something she is particular fond of, except kachori from her college days. Well to think about it both these choices kind of make sense. 
I always associate a person’s favorite food with their personality and these two desserts reflect her personality so well. Her love is like banana bread, when in doubt always order that, it will fill you up and make you happy. And on the other hand, she is twisted like a jalebi, no one can truly figure her out, but she is drenched with sweetness and uniqueness that no one else can compete with. 
At Mahableshwar Copyright @nnd
Ofcourse she is a Leo & a lioness is all respects. I always remember her standing tall (literally) and proud, taking every struggle and obstacle in her stride, whilst taking care of me. We have both endeavored a lot of things together, and she is the reason I am who I am today. If it hadn't been for her caring and patience with me, I would not be where I am today. Of course all parents inculcate good values, culture etc. in their children, but Aai has done more than just that for me and I am standing here today because of her...and she knows what I mean when I say that!  
She is my style icon and I wish I was more like her in terms of organizing and being proactive, however I have inculcated her sense of style and dressing (to some extent) and I cannot thank her enough for that.
Having studied in vernacular medium, she has no hint of it in the way she speaks or presents herself and that is something I think is so rare in the women of her era.  Not only do I admire her for that, but I have to give her full credit for winning all my elocution competitions, dramas and plays, as she is the one who wrote my speeches and rehearsed with me. 
I know its hard to be living on different continents, but Mamma, this post dedicated to you is a small way of saying Thank You and that I Love You and would never change anything about you!! Although you are the only person who can annoy me, irritate me with the smallest of things, and boost my confidence all at the same time, it is you & only you I can trust a 100% & share everything with. There was a time in my life, when I did not care about girl friends as she was my best friend and will always be.
So thank you Aai, for the life you have given me and I hope you enjoy cooking small little treats for yourself in this little pan that is on its way to you. 

You are the reason, or rather your nagging is the reason why I started cooking and I can write a blog now...LOL. I still remember watching you cook as a kid and enjoyed every minute of it, although I never helped you, I always liked the precision, neatness and speed with which you would make our meals… sharing two of your favorite recipes in the next two posts…
Here’s wishing a HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the Mum’s and Grand mums’ of the world…may you enjoy and cherish this day and all the days with your little ones!!
Copyright @nnd

Like us on Facebook

Comments

avn said…
Thank you so very much my lovely daughter you write so beautifully.This brought tears in my eyes.I am missing my mom this time.Last year I had called her on Mothers day n she was so thrilled because she had heard about this day on her favorite radio.May her soul rest in peace.God bless you too.You were her darling n I am sure she is there watching you.Yours loving Aai.PS Keep writing.

Shirin said…
Wow.. Missed my mom every second while reading this. Such a great post Nivu. Straight from the heart. Absolutely love it!!!! Kudos to you.