Fat Labrador Cafe - A unique find in a bustling city like Pune!


It’s been six months since I relocated from Melbourne to Pune, and as I am slowly getting a hang of things in India, getting my confidence back, being fearless while crossing the road, having all my senses on high alert at all times, the one thing that I have been on the lookout for is GOOD COFFEE. Now everyone’s definition of good coffee varies, but since I am a self-proclaimed coffee snob, good coffee for me means the name of the coffee should match the actual drink served. So, if it’s a cappuccino it can’t be a latte, an espresso can’t be a long black, you catch the drift. 
Now India is predominantly a Chai or Tea loving country, so there are chai lounges, tapri’s (around the corner shops), tea cafes everywhere, that serve all varieties of tea. Coffee is still just an item on the menu, at most of the restaurants and cafes, to tick the box. So, if you see Coffee on the menu, it means a packet of instant coffee, mixed with hot milk and served with or without sugar, as per your preference, in a shot glass sized cup. 
Like I said earlier India, or to be more specific, my state Maharashtra is a chai loving state, and I am sure this is related to the hot and humid weather for most part, and partly because in a fast paced, overcrowded place, its truly the survival of the fittest, so a strong cup of chai gives you the right kind off buzz to get you through, whatever the next few hours throw at you, be it catching the next train, going for a client meeting, meeting your boss, or planning on bunking the next lecture, we all need that cutting chai to help us get through. I know I digress, this is not about the chai culture of Maharashtra, however I will write about it soon. So, all these weather, commuting, and daily life conditions, are not conducive for a strong cup of black coffee, which is my coffee of choice, and neither is a milky, frothy, cappuccino. The middle ground for us is something called Filter Coffee, which is a traditional south Indian coffee. A perfect blend of strong, creamy, tasty, and delicious. However, in the city of Peshwas, and Marathas, Anna Idli, or Vaishali are as close as it gets to an udipi filter coffee, and may I say Anna Idli does do some justice to serving you with authentic filter coffee, but Vaishali and Wadeshwar, the two most popular and old fast food restaurants, are far from it. 
So as I was happily enjoying my Anna Idli filter coffee almost every day, until my school friend who knows me better than I do myself, told me about the Fat Labrador Café (cool name right- more about that later), located in Bavdhan near DSK Runwara. When a friend who has known you since your kindergarten days recommends a place, you know it’s going to be good. And I am glad that she not only introduced a place that prides in serving authentic filter coffee, but whose owners are as cool as the name of the café.  

Aniket and Smita the owners are so friendly and dynamic, and their menu reflects their love for different food, coffees, and meeting new people. They are both well-travelled, well read, and so easy to connect with which makes the entire #FatLab experience, extra special, cozy, and comfortable. 
 
Cleanliness is not even an issue, as I said they run it like its their home kitchen, the menu is at par with any of the gourmet cafés in Australia, with a wide selection of coffees ranging from the traditional filter coffee, to Vietnamese coffee, including a babyccino, which gave them the final stamp of approval from me, that this place is truly a coffee and continental food lovers delight. 
If you are looking for some quiet time by yourself, or you would like to meet up with an old friend, or just spend a lovely evening with your partner, or just hang out with your squad, this is the place to be. It’s got a lovely outdoor seating area, tables for a large group, or my favourite high chairs and bar table. 
Smita is not only an excellent barista, and chef, but she and Aniket both share a passion for coffee, and they will help you pick the right coffee beans (also sold at the café) for that perfect morning cuppa. 
The food menu ranges from masala omelets, to pasta, to a power muffin, and everything in between, all freshly prepared, and served on a crispy fresh sour dough bread, baked by their in-house baker. 
                
And as if this wasn’t enough, and I am sure you’ve guessed it by the name, The Fab Labrador is a cat and dog friendly café, and the fat lab in question is none other than the owners very own Cookie the lab. 

The cafe also hosts and they regular host cuddling sessions, coffee making sessions, book reviews, quiz evenings, and many other fun events most of which are free. 

Please do stop by for a nice filter coffee when you take your dog out for a stroll, and you and your pet will bond even better, as I guarantee you, you will both look forward to that walk, as there will be a lovely cuppa joe waiting for you at  the Fat Lab Café. And who knows, you might meet some very nice, like minded people here as the place only attracts genuinely food, animal, and coffee loving people, who in my opinion are the best kind ;) ;)  

Do follow them on Facebook and Instagram @thefatlabradorcafe to get updates on latest events hosted at the cafe. 

Comments