Slice Cake from My Childhood

Do you guys remember the Monginis slice cake that was available back in India? It was one of the most delicious little thing that I used to love, as I never liked the frosting or icing on cakes. I still don't have a sweet tooth, unlike Mr. N, so for me cakes like these are perfect treats. 

I was having coffee one day at home, and I wanted something with it. Of course if you live or have been to Australia, you will know Tim Tam's work perfectly with a cuppa, but I wasn't looking for anything chocolaty.  That's when my taste buds went back to the Monginis Slice Cake....Yellow with Brown borders, nicely sealed in small packets, ready to go. 

So I Googled  and found a few recipes, experimented with a couple & I think I am ready to share it with all you foodies. Once I made it I was so happy & smug that I know I will be making this for my kids and it will be my signature cake, the same way I associate time spent with my Mother when I see this cake. Yes, Aai (Mum) would pack this in our lunch boxes as a special treat, and I think a few of my friends started buying it when they tasted it in my lunch box, so its something I feel I introduced to my peers...lol. And since my friends and I liked it so much, I distributed it on my birthday to the entire class, instead of candy and chocolates. I still remember going to this really cute (and probably the only) pastry shop in my town with my Mum to shop for my birthday party. It was such a great day, we bought candles and return gifts and pencils and erasers for my classroom party, and last stop was at the pastry shop where we boxed 60-70 slice cakes and a few other treats, before heading home. 
So here's presenting Slice Cake from my Childhood, filled with sweet memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life and I hope you all do too..if you have any special/favorite recipes from your childhood, please do share them in the comments section below...

Ingredients: 
  • ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tbsp. Sugar
  • 1 Cup Plain flour
  • 1 tsp. Baking powder
  • 2-3 tsp. Vanilla Essence
  • 200gm or ½ tin Sweetened condensed milk
  • Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Method: 
  1. Pre-heat oven to 150 degree C. 
  2. Line a loaf pan or tin with butter & a piece of parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl add the sugar, vanilla & butter & mix well with a whisk or spoon. Then add the condensed milk and beat well. 
  4. Next add all the dry ingredients & combine well. 
  5. Transfer to the tin & bake for about 30-40 minutes at 150 degrees C. 
  6. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean your cake is done. 
Slice & eat to hearts content. Store at room temperature during winters & you can store it in the fridge during summer.

                    

Like us on Facebook


Comments