Onion Pakoras with Mint Chutney
- 1-2 large onions sliced in oval moon shape ( you can increase the quantity if there are more people)
- ½ Cup Gram flour –(You can get this any Indian store)
- 5-6 tbsps. Oil for shallow frying
- 1 ½ tsp. Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Water for making the batter
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tsp. Chilli powder ( use more if you want it hot, you may also use fresh chilli)
- ¾ tsp. Cumin powder
1. Chop the onions.
2. Use a medium sized pan for shallow frying. Add the oil; let it get hot while you make the batter.
3. In a mixing bowl add the gram flour, all the spices, garlic paste and salt to taste. Now slowly add about 1/4th cup water and make a paste that is not too thin or thick.
Add water slowly so you can adjust the consistency.
4. Check temperature of the oil by dropping a pinch of batter. If the batter floats and crisps up that means your oil is ready. If it sinks wait for some more time before adding your pakoras.
5. Coat the onion ovals with the batter by dipping it in the batter and drop them gently into the oil. Add 4-5 at a time. Let them crisp up before you strain them onto an absorbent tissue paper.
6. Do the entire batch and serve with Mint chutney or any other dipping sauce of your choice.