Lasuni Methi or Fenugreek leaves cooked with garlic

Okay so a lot of people will scream at the thought of eating fenugreek leaves, but they are my absolute fav vegetable. My Mom makes the best methi sabji, I cannot recreate it although I have tried many times, so now I have my own version.

Ingredients:

  • 1 packet frozen methi leaves (I get these from my local Indian grocery store) 
  • 1 Bulb of Garlic, the more the better 
  • 1 Onion finely chopped 
  • 2 Dry Red Chillies 
  • 1.4 tsp. Turmeric powder 
  • 1 tbsp. Coriander powder 
  • 1 tbsp. Goda or Garam Masala 
  • 2 tbsp. Oil 
  • Water for cooking 
  • Salt to taste 

Method:

  1. Remove the methi packet from the freezer 15-20 mins before adding to the dish. I actually add the leaves to a pot and add boiling water and keep it aside till I work on the masala. I drain the water half way through. 
  2. finely chop the onion. 
  3. finely chop the garlic cloves. 
  4. In a pan heat the oil. 
  5. Add red chillies and onions and sautee for 5 mins, or until they turn slightly golden. 
  6. next add the chopped garlic along with turmeric and coriander powder. 
  7. Cook till garlic gets a nice brown colour, be careful not to burn it. 
  8. Now add the drained methi leaves to the mixture. Mix well. 
  9. Add the goda or garam masala and salt to taste. 
  10. Cook covered till the methi is fully cooked, be sure to keep stirring and mixing to avoid boring of the mixture. 
  11. Add as much or as little water as required to help with the cooking process. If you are using fresh fenugreek or methi leaves, you might not need to add as much water. But the frozen methi requires atleast 1/2 cup water to cook. 
  12. Take it off the heat and serve with rotis and sliced onions. 

Follow us on Instagram
 @nevskitchen 


Comments