Sunday Breakfast- Dosa & chutney

I love dosa & I am always on a look out for simple dosa recipes. A traditional dosa batter needs to be fermented overnight & is a mixture of 2-3 different lentils & rice. So when I came across this recipe using only  yellow split peas or yellow moong dal I was ecstatic.Not only did I have all the ingredients in my store cupboard, I also did not have to do a lot of cleaning & chopping. Having said that I was still very anxious to try it,  because sometimes these recipes dont really work. So when I decided to make this for Sunday breakfast I was a little cautious of the fact that it might not work, so I had cereal as a back up  :) 
But it did work & I was able to make 6 soft dosas minus the fuss & fermentation. Also moong dal is extremely healthy & easy to digest so I think this will be my go to recipe when I am craving dosas :). No doubt dosa is healthy & is the staple food of southern Indian states like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Chennai etc.. but it is also very popular in rest of the country. It was also my staple food when I was in college. Since dosas have to be made fresh & are served with sambhar, which is a nutritious dipping sauce it would account for a complete healthy meal. I always ordered my dosa without oil & crisp. And the waiter at this incredibly busy, popular & loved by all fast food joint in Pune called "Vaishali", always remembered it & made it exactly to my liking
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did...serve with some dry coconut chutney or fresh green chutney. 
So here goes straight from Nev's kitchen to yours....keep sharing & spreading the love for good good food! 

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup yellow split peas or moong dal 
  • 1-2 tsps. Ginger paste or grated ginger 
  • 1 Small onion chopped  
  • 1-2tsps. Cumin seeds
  • Pinch of asafoetida or hing 
  • 1-2 tsps. each of coriander powder, cumin powder & red chili powder 
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for cooking 
  • 1/2 tsps. Ajwain or Caraway seeds (Optional) 
Method:
  • Soak the split peas for 3-4 hours in water. 
  • Drain the water & add the peas to a blender along with the ginger & salt. Add some water to help with the blending. 
  • You need a batter that is not to thick or thin. 
  • Adjust consistency by adding some water. Add all the remaining ingredients to the batter.
  • Heat a flat non stick pan. When the pan is sufficiently hot ladle a spoonful batter on the pan & spread it in circles.  
  • Cook evenly on both sides by flipping a couple of times. Drizzle some oil on the sides when cooking to help it crisp up. Serve hot with chutney or sambhar. 





Like us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/NevsVegKitchen  

Comments