Rajma (red kidney beans) Masala, is an authentic North Indian dish. I like this dish due to the nutritional value of kidney beans.These beans are high in iron, fibre & Vitamin C and low calorie. Now I must admit all North Indian dishes are made with lots of ghee or butter. But I have developed this quick and easy version, that will still taste good and is low in calories.Ingredients: Serves 2
- 1 250g Can of Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Small Can of Organic tomatoes or 2 Medium tomatoes blended
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 1tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1-2tsp.Coriander powder
- 1tsp. Cumin powder
- 2 Dry bay leaves
- 2-3tsp. Oil
- 1tbsp. Garam Masala or Rajma masala
- 1-2tsp. Red Chilli powder
- 1/2tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1½1tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the beans from the can. Keep aside.
- Blend the tomatoes if using fresh tomatoes. Keep aside.
- In a medium sized pan add the oil. When hot add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the bay leaves. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the chopped onion. Sauté till the onions are translucent.
- At this stage add the ginger-garlic paste. Cook for 5 minutes and add tomato puree. Cook till oil starts separating from the sides of the tomatoes.
- Now add all the spices turmeric, chilli, cumin and coriander. Let the spices cook for sometime. Add some water if needed.
- Add the beans now along with the salt. Mix everything well. Cook till the beans are tender. If using canned beans they will cook in 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly add the Garam masala. Mix everything well.
- Cover with a lid and turn off the heat. Let it cook for sometime in its own heat.
I make this over night and bring it to work. Makes for a very satisfying lunch and it tastes much better the next day as all the flavours get infused into the gravy overnight. Tastes good with rice or flat bread.